Saturday 21 August 2010

Nassau Volunteer Jagers

I finished my volunteer jager company last night. I bought them last Saturday at Britcon and now have them finished off, based and photographed in less than week. It may only be 9 figures strong but that is pretty good for me!

Here is a few photos of them skirmishing in the Bois de Bossu.


My idea for this project is to paint the units as they turned up on the front line. After reading The battle of Quatre Bras, i was sure they were part of the skirmish at Frasnes. After rereading the opening of hostilities it seems these chaps didnt turn up until the next evening at Quatre Bras itself.
So they have jumped the queue somewhat but that doesn't matter as it has given me a chance to test the choice of colour for the large Nassau contingent I will be painting.
I will list the colours here more as a reminder to myself more than anything.

coats and trousers = Foundry forest green 26A- 26A/B 26 A/BB 26B

skintone = citadel dwarf flesh, flesh wash, elf flesh

Belts = Foundry buff 7A i originally highlighted the belts but they looked better flat buff.

piping= Foundry Ochre 4B

bases = Vallejo chocolate brown, foundry base sand 10A, citadel kommando khaki. edged Vallejo earth brown

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. Sir Winston Churchill

With that quote in mind I will prep up the 2nd battalion of the 2nd Nassau-Usingen regiment all 43 of them!!!

10 comments:

  1. fantastic, in a week thats annoyingly good work, my time limits are slowing me down but you've given me inspiration, great pictures by the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,
    i know what you mean, a lot of the less detailed work was done with a 6 month old in one arm..... hopefully she will have her afternoon nap soon so i can crack on with the next batch

    ReplyDelete
  3. terrific paint job but are those chin scale green?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Conrad, i have had trouble finding info on the volunteers and went off a picture i found on the net but can no longer find. but i guess they should be probably be brass?

    cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Conrad, DOH! I have just repainted the chinstraps in brass, thanks for pointing it out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well mate glad to help , they are truly excellent in all ways and I have spruiked them over om my forum here in Oz , that Forest Green is a terrific choice..pity Foundry paint is not easily available in Oz and so expensive when one wishes to buy it direct

    ReplyDelete
  7. the paints seem to be the only thing Foundry have got right lately, shame they are hard to come by in Oz. What is the name of your forum i will check it out

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great paint job Steve,
    This looks like a really good project to keep an eye on.
    cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are gorgeous. I've often wondered about what paints would work best for Nassau and would not have thought about Forest Green - but these look absolutely spot on.

    Best wishes

    Giles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Giles, yes the Forest Green worked well. but i had to mix the the A+B be to get the effect i required.

    regards
    Steve

    ReplyDelete